Take traditional macaroni and cheese to a whole new level! Smoked cheese, smoker or liquid smoke. This will be everyone’s favorite tail-gait meal!
SMOKED MAC & CHEESE
- 1 16-ounce package elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 8-ounce block extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 8-ounce block smoked Gouda cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 4-ounce wedge Parmesan cheese, shredded
- optional: liquid smoke to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; whisk flour into butter and cook over medium heat 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese, salt, and pepper until mixture is smooth.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. (See tip on smoking.) Coat a disposable 9-1/2- x 11- x 2-inch aluminum roasting pan with cooking spray. (We like using an aluminum pan here in case you want to put this in your outdoor smoker, otherwise a 9- x13-inch baking dish will be fine.)
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups cheddar, 2 cups smoked Gouda cheese, the Parmesan cheese, pasta, and sauce.
- Spoon mixture into roasting pan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake (or smoke) 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake 15 to 20 more minutes or until heated through.
Although the cheese will give this a natural smoky flavor, you can make this extra delicious by placing this in your smoker and smoking it for 45 minutes to an hour at 225 degrees, until brown, bubbly, and delicious. No smoker? Add a few drops of liquid smoke!