MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH
- 3 slices brioche or challah 1/2-inch thick
- 2 ½ tbsp butter unsalted, divided
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup jam/jelly
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices turkey
- 1 egg large
- 1 tbsp milk
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch nutmeg
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- confectioners sugar dusting
- Soften 1 tablespoon of butter and very lightly butter one side of two slices of the bread, and both sides of the third slice of bread. Spread Dijon mustard onto the non-buttered side of one slice of bread, and 1 teaspoon of jam or jelly onto the non-buttered side of the final slice.
- Assemble sandwich in the following order: 1 slice of Swiss cheese on top of the Dijon, followed by the ham, the slice of fully buttered bread, turkey, 1 slice of Swiss, and the remaining slice of bread, jelly side down. Trim crusts, if desired.
- Loosely wrap the sandwich with plastic wrap and weigh it down with a grill press or skillet for 3-5 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together egg, milk, salt, and nutmeg. Dip sandwich into the egg mixture, until some of the liquid absorbs into the bread, but it isn't falling apart.
- Melt together vegetable oil and remaining butter in a skillet (I like to use cast iron). Cook 3-4 minutes per side, until sandwich is golden and cheese is melted. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Heat remaining jam or jelly in a small saucepan or microwave until warmed. Dust sandwich with confectioner's sugar, slice in half, and serve with jelly on the side.
Looking for more delicious recipes? Check some our here.