In the event of something crazy pops off while RVing here are a few tips for prevention and protection no matter where you are:
- Keep keys in reach at all times in case of an emergency. Being able to activate your car alarm can act as a distraction, deter further danger and potentially alert nearby campers
- Keep your phone with you at all time in case you needle to call for help!
- Whether it’s an animal or human encounter, Bear spray is great to keep on hand for a non-lethal way of defense. Not knowing how to use it correctly will make it pointless, so be sure to read the directions and practice using it in case a hostile situation occurs
- Another non-lethal defense, similar to the car alarm, is to keep a Fog Horn on hand for deafening any unexpected visitors and alerting anyone near enough to hear the horn
- Carry a flashlight like this one. This triples as an actual flashlight, blinder and weapon. Flash any suspected danger with the strobe mode and then use it as a weapon if needed
- Take a self defense class
- Your house has wheels, leave
- Let friends and family know where you are, where your going and when you will be returning
- Lock up all of your possessions outside of the RV including furniture, generators, electronics or anything that may tempt someone to creep around.
- Lock your RV doors, windows and compartments at night and before you leave
- Put a hitch lock so no one makes off with your RV aka entire house and all that’s in it
- Install a security camera on the outside so that you can monitor your surrounding while inside or when you are gone
- RV “Porch Lights” are a small way to keep away those who prefer total darkness to cause mayhem
- Replace factory installed cam locks